Friday, June 15, 2007

Itinerary

Clark and I fly into Lisbon on the of the 22nd of June, a Friday. We'll be in Lisbon and environs until Sunday mid-dayish when we drive to Braga.
From Sunday the 24th thru the morning of Wednesday the 27th we'll be in Braga. That's where my conference is and my whole excuse for this trip. Although I think my dad is going to go to Porto for those two days of conference and tour around.
We're leaving Braga on the morning of the 27th and driving to Vigo to pick up my friend Fran and then we're off to Santiago de Compostela to see the cathedral where St. James' bones are supposedly laid to rest. (Truth be told, they're not even male bones, but female.) S. de C. is the end of a major pilgrimage trail.
On the morning of the 28th, a Thursday, we drive along the northern coast of Spain to Bilbao and the Guggenheim museum.
I convinced my dad to drive thru southern France on Friday the 29th, just so I could see it. We'll spend the night in Perpignan, France, near the Mediterranean.
On Saturday the 30th we'll drive to Barcelona where we'll see La Sagrada Familia, Montserrat hopefully, and who knows what else.
We'll be in Barça until Monday, July 2nd, when we start the drive to Madrid. We'll go to the Prado, maybe the Post Office, I'll maybe go the the temple, and tons of other stuff.
On Thursday we'll drive thru Toledo and Badajoz on our way back to Lisbon, where we'll spend the night and fly out on Friday the 6th and arrive in the U.S. late Friday night.

7 comments:

Frau Magister said...

do you have your rental car worked out already?

emily said...

Wow, what a whirlwind. It sounds awesome and I'm pretty jealous. If you get a chance in Madrid you should go to the Reina Sofía. The museum, not the queen herself, I mean. And you should find computers often so we can enjoy your trip vicariously.

Vanessa Swenson said...

I totally forgot to put up a picture of the Reina Sofía. Oh well. Yeah, we're gonna go there, too.
We have a rental car worked out. Although Gretchen sent me an email a couple weeks after where we could've gotten a much better dealio. Oh well. Such is life.

Going bananas said...

My brother Samuel spent six weeks at the MTC in Spain (he did the other part of his MTC stuff in Provo) and he loved looking out the window each morning and seeing the temple. It's quite a sight to see, I'm told. Enjoy!

Marie said...

This sounds too exciting. Looking forward to the report.

Brian said...

YOUR FACE! You forgot to add in your itinerary about the super awesome sleepover you're having with your sister and favorite brother-in-law . . . and how said brother-in-law will be taking you to the airport when most other normal people are sleeping!! Have fun with Clark and bring me back a LIVE MONKEY!

Emily said...

it's parks. glad you have a rental car for the long trips but in Madrid, it will probably be a lot easier and faster to take the subway... all the places you mentioned have subway stops within 1/2 block. eat a churro for me.