Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Conference

The conference went well. I got nice compliments on my poster. I made some good contacts. I went to Staples twice today. It was fun. I got my first European fountain pen. Hopefully I'll be able to find a Waterman. Today's was a Parker. But it's nice. I want a Waterman, though. I also got a Portuguese notebook that I'll use for a journal, maybe.
There's the guys that's sat next to us the last two nights at dinner. He's a motivational speaker. He loves to talk. He's from Mozambique, but fled after the fall of the Portuguese gov't in '74 when the Mozambicans were allowed to control their own country. He lived in South Africa for a while. His English is great. He talks and talks and talks. Tells the funniest stories and does accents.
I really like our car. I know that I've said that before. But really, I do a lot. I taped my camera to the dashboard today and videotaped the drive from the university to the hotel. I really like the drive a lot. It's excellent.
Dad went bumming around Braga all by himself today. I was proud of him. He got to see tons of cool stuff.
I'm going to miss learning things at the conference. What I really learned was that I don't know anything about anything. But now I get to enjoy the next week and a half of travel. :D
Have fun!!!
Oh, to the Emilys: thanks for the comments. Yes the pastéis came from the Belém place. Yum. To assuming she's undone: fish, i know. weird.

4 comments:

Frau Magister said...

Congrats on the success of the conference and the car!

emily said...

1. Isn't that what we all learn in academia?
2. Can we see the pen?
3. And the video? I guess taping your camera to the dashboard of a car that you are driving is somewhat smarter/safer than hanging out the window of a speeding train with your video camera to record the trip to machu picchu. I watched some crazy guy do that, and then he did it again on the way back, when it was dark. I am sure that it was fascinating video.
4. No, thank you for the comments. I still have a bunch more pictures that I want to put up even though I am home already. I'll get around to it.

Cindy said...

Ah, work of the conference over and now the frantic fun begins! I read and reread your blog. It's official you mother IS truly living this one through you!

Frau Magister said...

I forgot - congrats on the fish, too!