Monday, July 2, 2007

Driving from Barcelona to Madrid with a detour thru construction and Montblanc--a random assortment of thoughts

That's the Catalunyan Montblanc, by the way. The people at the hotel gave us great directions to Valencia, but not Madrid. But I've gotten better and better at maps, so I got us back on the right road with a nifty back road. The only problem was the construction. We spent forever trying to get thru a nice little mountain passage.
We came up on Madrid and I was driving by this time. My dad was doing pretty well with the maps that we had. So Madrid has tunnels--well it seemed more like one big tunnel. I think the chunnel could be considered miniscule compared to the one that we were in and out of today. We've also become good at driving on hunches and doubling back if we have to. I love roundabouts.
We're about a block away from quilómetro cero. It´s a nice little European hotel. Our goals here are museums and more museums. I'm fine with that. I'm going to miss Barcelona though. I really liked that city. I liked it almost as much as Lisbon. Ahhh, nice European cities. I'm going to miss the Catalan everywhere. But I did buy a dictionary, 4 Harry Potter books and El Petit Príncep, so I should be okay.
The Catalunyan dances were cool too. It was a great part about Barcelona. I'll have to put up some videos that I took. Hopefully no naked men will be in these. I'll let you know, Andy, so that you can see them on film even if you didn't get to see them on your mission.
I got more yogurt today, by the way. A lot more. There's a grocery store just down the way. I think Clark will quickly become annoyed at the amount of yogurt I'm going to eat before we leave. Is gorging a sin if it's European yogurt and you're at the end of an Iberian road trip?
Speaking of Iberian road trips, yes, Andy, this has been a lot of fun. I've actually loved driving across Iberia. My dad, however, curses the car and the driving. I understand that this probably has something to do with the fact that he's paying for the gas. But I'd do this again. It's been fun.
I bought a Waterman. Then it didn't work. I wanted to die. Then it worked again today. I said prayers about it, so I think that's why it's working. I'll take pictures of my new pens and post them (like you asked, Emily D.) But for now: Midnight Glamour. Sexy.
Tonight I tried--I really did--to eat a mussel. I just couldn't. But I did have some of Clark's scallop and his red pepper stuffed with cod. So thanks, Frau Magister and Assuming Undone, for the congrats on the fish. I guess I'm still a little weak on the fish-like things.
Oh, Becky, the eight things of yogurt that I got today were the azucarado type. SO TASTY. I think Clark's gonna flip when I eat 6 tomorrow morning.
Okay, that's it. Life's peachy here. Tomorrow we're going to the Reina Sofia and maybe some more wandering. It'll be great.

3 comments:

Frau Magister said...

Don't think of them as mussels, think of them as snails.

Andy said...

I think I would be mumbling too if I had to pay for the gas. How much is it per liter over there? As for yogurt, boy you got the good stuff. I also developed a taste for "yogur griego" which is like sour cream. I used it in recipes for my companions on the mish. Don't forget to visit the Temple. It's very beautiful. If you get to do a session, you'll love the celestial room. It's absolutely gorgeous. The last time I was there was March 11, 2004, when the train stations got bombed by the terrorists. The Temple President notified us just about the time when my session was about to start. It was sad, but the prayer we said was very touching because we were asking for blessings upon those who lost loved ones that day. Hopefully, nothing will happen to rain on your parade this day. Have fun visiting the museums.

FoxyJ said...

So I commented on the other post without reading this one. Azucarado is my favorite flavor of yogurt. That's why I have a yogurt maker and make my own yogurt with whole milk. Then I just add a bit of sugar and enjoy!